The Altria Theater seeks industry professionals with management experience in a variety of disciplines. We are committed to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting candidates who are passionate about an exciting career in a fast paced and challenging environment.
We accept applications and resumes for posted positions only. ***PLEASE SPECIFY JOB OPENING FOR WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING***
POSITION: Box Office Manager
REPORTS TO: Senior Box Office Manager
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time/Exempt
Oversees ticket sales and all aspects of box office operation by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates, this position will be located at Dominion Arts Center; 600 East Grace Street Richmond, VA 23219.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures smooth operation of daily Box Office functions including accurate daily balancing of Box Office sales in accordance with SMG’s Finance Department; promptly resolves any problems including chargebacks; orders change and maintains Box Office banks; oversees the daily upkeep of the Box Office including filing, cleaning, repairs and maintenance by utilizing Box Office Associates.
- Ensures accurate and timely daily sales reporting, while maintaining proper confidentiality
- Creates and maintains monthly box office schedules ensuring accuracy and coverage for all box office shifts
- Resolves all ticketing problems quickly with a focus on SMG’s policy towards strong customer service;
- Hires, supervises and trains full and part-time box office staff as part of box office leadership team; ensures proper orientation to SMG policies and standards and Box Office procedures;
- Maintains and tracks Box Office archives including event records, sales statistics, Box Office deposit and Journal activity archives; develops systems for easily accessing this information as needed;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintain files on each event such as production kills, seats on hold, complimentary tickets, event audits and ticket inventory schedule; maintain organized and thorough event files.
- Monitor events on a consistent basis from event creation until after the show occurs to ensure tickets are selling correctly; correct holds remain in place, inventory control, etc.
- Verify daily cash reports and prepare seller reports.
- Provide the highest level of customer service and assure all customer issues are dealt within an efficient and professional manner.
- Provide accurate scaling to promoters and President/General Manager when requested.
- Create maps, map changes, promo changes and submit events in the ticketing system in an exact and accurate manner.
- Communicate accurate event information including ticket pricing, scaling and event configurations to other departments and the Senior Box Office Manager.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with promoters, ticket system representatives, resident companies and artist representatives.
- Prepare cash banks, daily deposits and cash receipts. Maintaining accurate vault funds and records;
- Assist with event settlements by preparing accurate reports. Disseminate accurate information and reports to promoters during events.
- Must be able to work Event Schedule which includes working including nights, weekends, and holidays
Manages the Ticket Sellers or other Box Office staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Assists in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 3 years related experience required
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in accounting and customer service essential
- Box office experience in a similar environment strongly preferred
- Experience with Excel spreadsheets desired
- Experience with computerized ticket systems, such as Ticketmaster or Etix
- Supervisory experience desired
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication, problem solving and organizational skills required
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial procedures, including record keeping and reconciliation
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices
- Ability to coordinate and schedule staff
- Excellent good customer service and public relations skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of ticket selling/box office operations
- Ability to count money, make change
- Must be able to work extended/irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
POSITION: Building Maintenance/HVAC Technician
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time/Non-Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Engineer/HVAC Technician for the Dominion Arts Center and Altria Theater venue. Under general supervision of the Director of Operations, the Building Maintenance/HVAC Technician will perform a variety of skilled and unskilled activities involved in the operation and maintenance of the facilities mechanical, HVAC systems and general operations.
Include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Operate, monitor, repair and maintain the facility’s audio-visual, environmental controls, emergency power, electrical, HVAC and lighting systems as required for the safe and efficient operation of the facility.
- Repair and rebuild various items such as motors, compressors and ice machines.
- Respond to emergency request for repairs service, diagnoses problems and immediately make repairs.
- Follow the preventive maintenance program, energy management program and standard operating procedures for all machinery and equipment.
- Perform repairs and maintenance tasks such as painting, wall repair, patching, re-lamping, replacing ceiling tiles, filters and belts as required.
- Record and log all work performed, complete work order slips and compile all required reports in a timely and complete manner.
- Assist other Operation Department divisions to expedite event conversions as needed.
- Promote a safe working environment for all employees by following the life safety and emergency program as needed.
- Read and interpret performance charts and control panels to evaluate the efficiency of each system.
- Respond to routine, precautionary and emergency alarms from building automation and life safety systems.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Evaluate, repair and maintain plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems in the buildings.
- Communicate with Director of Operations about any work that requires outside expert assistance.
- Understand the methods, principles and practices required for the operation and maintenance of the mechanical and electrical systems. Properly use all equipment needed to perform required duties.
- Be familiar with operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility.
- Know general techniques in plumbing, electrical wiring and ventilating systems to be able to assist the HVAC and maintenance technicians as needed.
- Have basic understanding of door hardware, locks, key machine, door closers, etc.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility.
- Read and comprehend blueprints, drawings and other related materials.
- Follow and adhere to all safety precautions, building codes, rules, regulations, risk management and emergency procedures.
- Meet the physical demands of this job, which include being able to get in and around the facility (requires personal mobility), lifting, carrying, moving, climbing, working from various heights, and moderate to loud noises.
- Operate equipment such as light trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, scrubbing machines or other light power driven equipment.
- Operate monitoring controls and personal computer using Windows and Microsoft Office software.
- Operate standard office equipment including copier and fax machine.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with arms; stoop; kneel; crouch; and crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. This position may need to perform work in high areas. Position must be able to operate equipment as required. This position requires work in both indoor and outdoor settings and may be subjected to adverse conditions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or G.E.D. or technical support school or advanced electrical or refrigeration courses preferred and a minimum of three (3) years full-time experience at a facility; or equivalent combination of education and experience. EPA Universal certification and HVAC certificate to recover and reclaim a must.
POSITION: Concessions Manager
REPORTS TO: Food & Beverage Director
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time/Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train, schedule, and supervise concessions food and beverage staff
- Assist in settling concessions event paperwork per event
- Maintains correct stock levels utilizing prior sales history
- Assists supervisor with day to day operations
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving
- Works with other supervisors on distribution of all products to stands and bars
- Ensures all POS systems are in proper working condition prior to the event
- Understanding of POS system BOH/FOH operations
- Ability to operate and finalize events in POS system
- Accurately reviews quality product before serving to customer
- Ensure health codes and liquor laws are followed
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- All other duties as assigned
- Must have attention to detail
- Must have good oral and written communication skills
- Must have ability to add, subtract, multiple and divide
- Must have strong customer service skills
- Must be able to adapt to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands, frequent changes, delays or unexpected events
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must have good organizational skills
- Must have basic working knowledge of cash register and cash handling procedures
- Must be compliant with health codes
- Must be able to pass a credit check and meet corporate minimum requirements
Education and Work Experience:
- Four year college degree preferred
- Two years of customer service experience
- Must have concessions management experience
- Must have two years of management experience in food and beverage
- Must have Serve Safe certification (Mangers Certification)
- Must be Excel and Microsoft proficient
- Daily lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Constant reaching, standing, walking and stooping
- Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination
- High noise level
- Exposure to the weather conditions
- In and out of doors several times a day
- Exposure to heat and cold, dust pollen and fumes
Hours of Work and Travel Requirements:
Must be able to work extended and/or irregular hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
POSITION: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Staff Accountant at the SMG Richmond – responsible for the Richmond Coliseum, Dominion Arts Center, Altria Theater and Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Camp Facility. The Staff Accountant performs duties directly related to accounting for food and beverage, inventory, accounts receivable and payable, as well as any duties assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Assists in the implementation of facility goals and priorities relating to financial management, budget, accounting, purchasing, and payroll in compliance with State and Federal law, and SMG policies and procedures
- Settle events and prepares timely Event Flash Reports for Management
- Financial reporting responsibilities for Ancillary Income (Food & Beverage, Merchandise and Parking). Reconciles sales for Concessions, Club and Suite Catering after each event, creates Cash Receipts Journals, and generates invoices
- Calculates food cost monthly
- Maintains fixed asset detail records; performs account analysis
- Assists in preparation of financial statements
- Prepares and performs or assists with event settlements
- Creates and enters Journal Entries for payroll and events
- Codes A/R receipts and A/P disbursements and enters into a general ledger. Creates checks. Reconciles A/R and A/P control accounts to detail aging
- Performs account analysis on other general ledger accounts
- Reconciles Box Office bank account and conducts periodic audits
- All other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of financial and cost accounting
- Experience with food and beverage, especially inventory
- Excellent math skills and attention to detail
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management and clients
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision
Education and/or Experience:
- Preferred B.S. in Accounting, Business, Finance or Sports Management and a minimum of one year experience in an arena environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
c/o Brad Scheid
FOR ALL FULL TIME POSITIONS, PLEASE LIST SALARY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 804-592-3679.
All openings will be posted to the Department of Labor website at: www.vawc.virginia.gov
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRRA Federal Contractor.